DEAR HARRIETTE: My co-worker — and friend — and I are applying for the exact same manager position at work.

Harriette Cole 

I’m already feeling anxious about how bittersweet the outcome will be either way. I really need this job, but I know that my friend needs it, too.

Things are not awkward between us yet, but I can’t imagine that they won’t be awkward in the future. How do I handle this? How do we remain friends no matter what happens?

Same Job

DEAR SAME JOB: If it is obvious that the two of you are applying for this job, say something.

Tell your friend that you know you both want this job, and that you wish there were two perfect jobs for both of you right now. Express your support for your co-worker as you also state that you know you will both do your best and whoever gets it will be great for the job. Be the congenial one.

Then stop talking about it. Prepare for your interview by researching exactly what it takes to be a good manager at this company. What are the expectations, and what have you witnessed that helps to inform your understanding of the job? Finally, what are your unique qualities and experiences that make you the best person for the job? Be prepared to share all this information dynamically and confidently.

If you become the manager, do your best to ensure that your friend feels good about being on the team. May the best candidate win.

DEAR HARRIETTE: After that horrible condo collapse in Miami, I am scared of moving. I am about to relocate to a new city because of my job. I will be moving into a high-rise rental property. That means I can’t get the building management to do an inspection of the building or any such thing. I can’t afford a luxury building. How can I be sure that I will be safe where I’m going? I feel so sorry for all the people who lived in that building. How can I protect myself?

Afraid To Move

DEAR AFRAID TO MOVE: It will take some time before we learn exactly what happened that led to that tragedy in Miami. What we already know is that building inspections dating back to 2018 indicated that it had major structural damage. Those records should be public for any building.

Before moving into a rental, condo or any other type of building, request inspection records from the building management team. Though people rarely ask for them, they should be available for prospective tenants to peruse. If anyone refuses to let you see these records, move on until you find a building that is open to allowing you to see where they stand.

Many buildings list specific repairs and maintenance that inspections reveal are needed. In some instances, these repairs are made in a timely manner, but in other cases, negligence sets in for a variety of reasons. After the pandemic, many businesses do not have the resources to handle maintenance in a timely manner.

You will need to decide what repairs you are willing to live without as you search for your next home. Trust that it may take some time, but you will find a safe building in which to live.

Harriette Cole is a lifestylist and founder of DREAMLEAPERS, an initiative to help people access and activate their dreams. You can send questions to askharriette@harriettecole.com or c/o Andrews McMeel Syndication, 1130 Walnut St., Kansas City, MO 64106.